As i was helping a fellow instructor prepare for a SharePoint 2013 Power User class, we came across the problem of having old student data in the generic user profiles we create for students. I figured this would be a simple task of just going into the user profile services application and deleted the profiles of the users that have the word student. Easy enough, right?
Well, to make a long story short, we noticed that the newsfeed and other SP2013 mysite goodies where missing. Further more we were constantly getting that friendly, “we are almost ready” message on the about me pages.
That is strange, i thought to myself. So I went and looked at the even viewer and lo and behold the wicked critical error was there:
My Site creation failure for user ‘spi\instructor’ for site url ‘http://sharepoint/my/instructor’. The exception was: Microsoft.Office.Server.UserProfiles.PersonalSiteNamingConflictException: Username conflicts with another user..
The fix to this is very simple. Check to see if the site naming format is set to resolve conflicts. To do this simply go to Central Admin>Application Management>Manage Service Applications> User profile Service> My SIte Settings>Setup Mysites. Halfway down the page you should see your site naming format.
After i clicked on resolve conflicts, i waited a bit for the timer jobs to do their, well, jobs, and all my newsfeed and blog information was back!.
Hope this helps: