SharePoint 2013 and office web apps; the hidden truth about how to install!

23 07 2013

I make it a habit to write about things that trip me up about SharePoint and almost always, I have had a pretty good idea as to why. But, this time I have come across something that I do not understand.
OFFICE WEB APPS 2013 DOES NOT LIKE TO BE INSTALLED ON ANYTHING BUT THE C DRIVE.

Yes ladies and gentlemen, installing office web apps 2013 on the d: drive will not fully work. Word Web app will start to work and then hang for 5 minutes and tell you that the service is busy.

The only known fix that i have come across is to uninstall owa, unbind, then reinstall on the c drive, rebind and bingo it works.

Why? I have no idea.

Hope this helps you guys out.

Nando





SharePoint 2013 and Office WebApps: The Binding Dance Off!

3 02 2013

After installing SharePoint 2013 and configuring it with Workflows and app domains, the last piece of the puzzle is to install Office web apps. Pretty simple really if you follow these steps from SOWMYANCS :Install, Configure & Monitor Office Web Apps 2013 for SP 2013

However, no matter what i tried, i couldn’t get office web apps to work quite right. It wanted to launch in the window, but it would get stuck there for 5 minutes then tell me the office webapp service was busy or this dandy error:

Word Document: “Sorry, Word Web App can’t open this document because the service is busy.  Please try again later.”

Word Document : “Sorry, there was a problem and we can’t open this document. If this happens again, try opening the document in Microsoft Word.”

I scoured the internet and nothing. Then it dawns on me. I had demoted this server from being a Domain Controller. Somewhere in the instructions i had read that OWA server cannot be a domain controller. But it doesn’t say it should have NEVER been one either.

I went ahead and installed a fresh copy of Windows Server 2012 with all the updates.

I went back to my SharePoint WFE and ran:

Remove-SPWOPIBinding –All:$true

I re ran the steps from the above article

New-OfficeWebAppsFarm –InternalURL "http://servername" -ExternalURL "http://servername.contoso.com" –AllowHttp -EditingEnabled

and it STILL DID NOT WORK CORRECTLY. Hmmmm…
Turns out that SharePoint remembers all your SPWPIzones from before. So if you wan’t external access you need to run this command to make sure you know what zone you are in:

Get-SPWOPIZone

Then make sure you set your spopizone to external by running this command:

Set-SPWOPIZone –zone “external-https”

Now it works.
Moral of the story, don’t reuse domain controllers, even if you have demoted them. They will always be bitter you demoted them.

Nando